Friday, February 3, 2012

Anthro Knockoff DIY beady beaded necklace

Check out this super cute necklace I spent FOREVER making this week!

Comparison time!!  Mine vs. Anthropologie

My version

Anthropologie $178 necklace




















I think it's pretty close!!  

I started out with a length of wire left over from my birds nest necklaces, a lobster clasp, a TON of little 2" head pins, (I think I used almost 400), Pliers, cutters, and a lot of assorted beads

I cut 3 lengths of wire, attached the lobster clasp, and braided the 3 wires loosely, like so:

Trust me, it's braided. Trim the wires to the length you want, then attach the ring/chain/whatever youre using for the other end, for the lobster clasp to attach to.  Use cutters (My husband told me they are called Tin Snips, I found them in his tool box.  They worked QUITE nicely) to cut ALL the head pins in half, so theyre shorter.  Now they are all about 1" long.  (Hobby Lobby didn't have 1" head pins, so ifyou are able to obtain them then obviously you can skip this step)
Now the FUN begins!


One at a time, slide a bead on the head pin, link it through a part of the braid, and loop it tightly.
Do this a gazillion times evenly...

I worked on different areas as they looked naked. 
Eventually I ran out of beads and pins.

Modeling my new necklace!  Perfect for Spring.  And although it did take me 2 trips to the craft store and an estimated 4 hours (while watching Jimmy Fallon, so not a total loss) it didn't cost me anywhere NEAR what I would pay at Anthro. (You can buy the anthro necklace here if you are, unlike me, busy and employed.)

Thanks for admiring it!!  I am a total show-off. How annoying that must be for you.  sorry.
(Special thanks to my houseguest, Kim, for being my fancy finished-product protographer)
 go visit!

26 comments:

  1. Uh yeah ... so making one of these! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!!! You are always so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that looks fantastic! Definitely worth the time it took you to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It looks incredibly close to the Anthro! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! Consider sharing with my readers at http://sassafrassalvation.blogspot.com/2012/02/sasss-sunday-salvation-show-11.html !

    Happy Valentine's Day,

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW -- beautiful! I pinned this onto my "gift" board.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what an amazing job you did!

    Would love it if you would share it with my readers and post it on my web site - www.ohmy-creative.com

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love copying Antro stuff. I think your necklace turned out gorgeous & it looks just as good as the original. I'm popping by from Vintage Revivals where you were listed as someone's favorite. I enjoyed my visit to your great blog.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you guys so much for visiting, and all your kind comments! I love that you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful...totally worth all the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for the sweet notes! Has anyone tried to make one?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found your blog through Pinterest. Amazing necklace, love it, and I may even attempt one in my spare time (←sarcasm). Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where did you get the beads for this project? Or what brand were they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got all the beads at a Hobby Lobby in El Paso, TX. I also pirated the silver beads from a silver pearl-style necklace I had laying around from Aeropostale years ago. I often will pirate necklaces I don't wear when I am making a new one. Good Luck! Finding good beads is always the hardest part.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your response! The necklace is so beautiful! I'm having such a hard time though with the beads. All of them want to fall right through the head pins?? I visualized that you are using a bead approx. a 6 mm in size? Do you remember any of the brands/sizes that you picked from hobby lobby or did you have any problems with the head pin going right through?

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry, I dont recall the sizes, although they were about 1cm around, I dont know how big the holes were... I had no problem with the head pin going through them, in fact, some of the beads didn't make it onto the necklace for the holes being too SMALL! Shoot, This was a long time(and a move!) ago so I dont have the materials anymore.

      Delete
  14. I like your version much better!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love this diy! found you on pinterest ! definitely following you now :) www.heartandthrift.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love, love, love this necklace and want to make one myself....but Im so lazy. I do like visiting their store for my jewelry inspirations tho

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks fantastic but I guess you need to be really patient in making it..can we just use a chain instead of braiding the wire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- I had a lot of time on my hands at the time, it did require a lot of patience. The time consuming part wasn't braiding the wire, but addind each bead one at a time. You could use a chain, I just used wire because I had some on hand and I thought a chain might be too "floppy" for the result I was seeking. I'm sure it would work out great.

      Delete
  18. Just saw your necklace on Pinterest. Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. it is soooo beautifulll!!!!!!!...m definitely trying this....:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. it is soooo beautifulll!!!!!!!...m definitely trying this....:)

    ReplyDelete